Autodidactic Training Modules on Linguistic Engineering Applied to Translation
Creating word lists using TACT
To create lists is a very simple task using TACT. Using the
option "TACTFreq" from the TACT main menu, three
different kinds of lists can be created:
1. List by alphabetical order or direct list (example of list ordered alphabetically), where
words appear by alphabetical order.
2. List by reverse alphabetical order or reverse list,
where words appear by reverse order (end of word) (example of list by reverse alphabetical order).
3. List by frequency order or frequencial list (example of list by frequency).
4. List of useful words
To create the first three lists, follow these
- Open the TACT programme.
- Go to the main menu and select "TACTFreq".
- Write down the database name (if you wish to use the same sample text as us in order to compare the results you obtain with ours, you must
save it to your computer. Open the TACT, go to
"Makebase" option, type
"manual" and press "F9" key).
- A black screen with different options will be displayed.
- If you want to create a list by alphabetical order select
the option that says "Alphabetical" from
"Order Type" and press "F9".
- If you want to create a list by reverse alphabetical
order change the "Order Type" option to
"Reverse Alphabetical" and press
- If you want to create a list by frequency change
the "Order Type" option to
"Frequency" and press "F9".
- Please note that if you want to create the
three lists once the programme has already created a
list, a warning screen will appear saying that the file
"nom_del_fitxer.alp" already exists and you can
create another list or overwrite the last one created. If
you do not want to overwrite an already created list, you
must select the option "New" and type in a new
Once you have finished, quit TACT and entering "dir"
you can see that different files with ".ALP" extensions have been created. If you want to see these files, you can edit
them using the MS-DOS editor. Type in edit and the name of the
file you want to see.
To create the list of useful words, follow
- Open the TACT programme. From the main menu, select UseBase.
Type in the database name.
- Go to Display menu, select the display option you
- Go to Select menu, select Complete word-list.
A list with all the words from the text ordered
alphabetically will be displayed.
- To select them, mark the word you have chosen and press
"Ins". You can select as many as you wish.
- To make a quick selection, the Query option from
the Select menu can be used. For instance, if you
want to select all the words beginning with -un, write
down un.* (the point indicates any character and
the asterisk a variable item).
- To save (export ) the results, go to File menu and
select Disk option. The Query results will be
saved as a file with .lst extension.
- To quit UseBase, press F10.
To see a glossary of the unknown words from the example text,
To see a glossary with words that can be used in Computer
Science, click here.
Sandra del Molino
Bet de Dios
Edited by Alba Comas i Balada
Translated and adapted by: Araceli Alonso Campo
Go to TACT main page